Anaesthetic agents and other considerations for safe operative care
- There are always risks with anaesthetics and there are special considerations in DMD to allow anaesthetics to be given safely including using total intravenous anaesthetics and avoiding specific drugs.
- Minimising loss of blood is important especially in major surgery such as spinal fusion. In this situation, the surgeon and anaesthetist may decide to use specific techniques to help with this.
- Full details are available in the main document.
Important facts to remember
- There are always risks with anaesthesia; however, special considerations in DMD can allow anaesthesia to be given more safely, such as the use of a total intravenous anaesthesia technique and absolute avoidance of the drug succinylcholine.
- Proper assessments of the heart and lungs are important when planning for surgery.
- Make sure that all doctors are properly informed about DMD and all interventions (medicines) your son is getting.